Certain years because more rememberable due to the music that came out that year. Looking at my digital music library I picked out a few albums that accompany me through the changing seasons.
1. Some of my favorite movies has to do with how good is their soundtrack is (Garden State, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Moonrise Kingdom). After I saw Divergent and enjoyed the story, I downloaded the album. The mix had a lot of familiar favorite artist, making it perfect for summer.
2. As I am always on search for non-mainstream music, coming across EP’s is my newest fascination. Vancouver’s small collections of songs was just enough to make me fall in love with this new artist. Winter by band’s full named Vancouver Sleep Clinic. Their angelic sound caused me to go into deep thought about life, love and the future. This became a very personal album that I refused to listen to if anyone else joins me inside the car.
3. Thom Yorke has been my generation’s favorite artist. His newest album Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes can be found on his site for $6 bucks. As I discovered this late in the year, it was the perfect, “sound of the future” I’ve been looking for to welcome 2015.
4. One of my favorite podcast opened up with one of Phantogram’s new song. I did some google research and tracked the album down, “Voices“. This album was perfect to share with other people. Its atmospheric music played on repeat in my car as I hosted overseas’ guest and drove into the city.
5. Sometimes finding a new artist means keeping an open ear during shopping. I stopped in my tracks when I heard Mother & Father by Broods. Something about the honest lyrics caught my attention, plus I totally relate to the song. I discovered their EP was just as enjoyable. This group released two great albums this year.
6. The RELEVANT Collection, Vol. 11 was a free mix download by the Relevant Magazine. Through out the year it’s been my go to music when I’m not sure what I’m in the mood for. I enjoyed it so much I made a CD copy and kept it in my player whenever I was annoyed at the radio or when my iPod was asking me to make too many decisions. I’m old fashion who likes to press CD and something plays.
7. My last recommendation was by good ol’ Damien Rice. Out of no where released an album in titled My Favorite Fade Fantasy. The album plays like a music score. It must be listened to beginning to end to hear what sounds like one full song.
I’d say this year felt like a drought for new music – I don’t keep up with the mainstream but when it comes to finding new artist, I am on the haunt. It might be I am 31 and no longer in the “cool” group but other then these albums, no one really caught my attention. There where a few single’s I enjoyed like Grizfolk The Struggle (Rac Mix) and some songs from Porter Robinson’s Worlds. If I missed any new albums that you enjoyed this year – feel free to share!
It’s not to late to enjoy some of 2014 tunes, I’m excited to see what our artist have in store for 2015.