How amazing is Twitter, that I can have direct contact with some very talented people. I recently started to communicate back and forth with a fashion photographer in New York about his work. I randomly asked him if he would be interested in answer a few questions about being a pro. To my surprise, he was more than happy to!
1. How did you break into fashion photography?
I’ve photographed people for a long time.. I eventually decided to visit some modeling agencies to show them my work. They started sending me girls. I then went on to shoot for designers and other clients.
2. What did you do to prepare you for it?
Countless hours in front of computer advertising myself. (which I still do) Word of mouth helped a lot too.
3. What type of preparation do you do before a shoot?
I like to keep things very simple. If I’m shooting indoors, I set up one or sometimes two lights, but for the most part I shoot with one. Unless Im shooting something specific for a client. I make sure my camera batteries are fully powered and make sure my memory cards are formatted. I love listening to music and drinking iced coffee while doing all this.
4. What are some things you do to push your creativity?
That’s a tough question.. I believe that creativity comes from within, either your born with it or you’re not. I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with me. What do I do? I really don’t. For personal work, a lot of my ideas come to me while I’m alone thinking and over thinking.
5. Where do you get your inspiration from?
6. Looking at your work you capture women’s beauty with such taste and class, what are some things you keep in mind when you are taking women’s portraits?
I try to make them feel 100% comfortable with me and our project. If they’re not, it’ll definitely show.
7. Which lens do you use the most?
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 and Nikkor 85mm f/1.8
Thank You Arturo for taking the time to answer my seven questions.